Fire guts Offa market, destroys N360m property

Spread the love

Offa, April 2, 2024 – Parts of the Owode Market in Offa, Kwara State was gutted by an early morning fire on Tuesday.

The fire, which started by 2.00 am, destroyed over N360 million worth of goods.

Hassan Adekunle, the Spokesman for the Kwara State Fire Service, confirmed the fire outbreak in a statement.

Adekunle said the Fire Service got information about the incident at 02:30 am and promptly drafted servicemen led led by Oyeyipo James to the scene of the incident.

He said the collaborative efforts of the men of the state Fire Service and their federal counterparts helped in bringing the situation under control.

“Despite the daunting challenge, it took a concerted five-hour-long battle to fully extinguish the flames, ensuring the safety of lives and properties within the vicinity.

“Initial assessments revealed that Owode Market, a bustling commercial hub housing 3,820 shops and 1,180 stands, remarkably suffered minimal damage. Only 50 shops bore the brunt of the inferno, thanks to the swift response and decisive actions of the Fire Service.

“The value of commodities and properties salvaged by the firefighting efforts is estimated to exceed N12 billion, providing a significant relief amidst the crisis. However, the unfortunate incident resulted in property losses amounting to N360m.

“Following a thorough investigation, it was determined that the fire was sparked by a dropped cigarette end igniting combustible materials, underscoring the critical importance of fire safety awareness and preventive measures,” he said.  (GBN)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *