Buses to evacuate Nigerians arrive in Sudan

Spread the love

Khartoum, April 26, 2023 – Some  buses procured by the Federal Government of Nigeria to evacuate stranded Nigerians have arrived in Khartoum.

The buses are at the meeting point of International University of Africa, Khartoum, for the evacuation of the stranded Nigerian students in Sudan through Cairo.

News Point Nigeria reports that a set of five 200-seater buses drove into the venue at exactly 7:30pm local time (5:30pm – Nigerian time) with two Hilux trucks of security personnel and a small bus of embassy officials.

A student leader, who spoke to our newspaper, confirmed the development.

“The officials have started clearance and verification of students at the venue and some students are ready to board.

“We are discussing giving out 60 per cent of the first available seats to the female students and children while the male students take up the remaining 40 per cent.

“We are told that more buses are coming and the officials also brought some snacks and water too.

“On this note, we wish to sincerely thank them for this gesture and their efforts toward ensuring that we returned home safe”, the student stated.

Speaking to our correspondent before the arrival of the buses, an evacuation committee member said, it’s risky to transport huge number of students from one point to another in present day Sudan without the assistance and cooperation of both warring troops.

“There are basically two reasons for the delay of the buses to the venue. One, we are yet to get clearance from both authorities as it is risky to move the students without such clearance and then the mode of payment to the bus company took a while to clear.

“But I assure you, the evacuation of the students will begin in a short while as the payment has cleared and we have secured clearance from both warring generals.

“The NEMA DG is already in Cairo and some staffs are at the Egyptian border to help ease their entry as we speak.

“Also, more committee members and officials are airborne to Egypt all in an effort to ensure the safe return of all Nigerians in Sudan”, the committee member explained.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *